|Primary Theater||ColdTowne Theater|
Drew Wesely, aka Andrew Wesely, is an improv comedian, sketch actor, and improv teacher in Austin, Texas.
Drew Wesely graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. He began classes at ColdTowne Conservatory in 2007, prior to the breakup of the original ColdTowne members, and received improv training from all of them. He began as a Teacher's Assistant at ColdTowne Conservatory in 2011, and became a teacher at ColdTowne in 2015. In 2016 Drew Wesely graduated from the ColdTowne Conservatory Advanced Improv program, culminating with him producing the show "Dinner & A Drew-vie", which became a recurring show at ColdTowne.
From 2016 to 2017, Drew took classes at The New Movement Theater (Austin), and graduated in early 2018 as the first graduating class of Fallout Theater (TNM Austin transformed into Fallout in February 2018). In May 2018, he was hired as an improv teacher at the new Fallout Theater. He is currently the only improv teacher to have taught at both ColdTowne Conservatory and Fallout simultaneously.
He has attended improv workshops/received coaching from: UCB (including instruction from Matt Besser, Ian Walsh, Neil Casey, Brandon Gardner, Shannon O'Neill, Will Storie, Alan Starzinski, and Jonny Svarzbein), The Annoyance (Mark Sutton), iO (Liz Allen, Jet Eveleth, Craig Cackowski, Eric Hunicutt, Craig Uhlir, Karen Graci, Dave Hill, Matt Jones) and The New Movement (Chris Trew, Tami Nelson, and Anthony Ellison). He has been on improv troupes coached by Dave Buckman (Boom Chicago), Tom Booker (iO/The Annoyance/The Institution), Arthur Simone, Michael Jastroch, Cody Dearing, Roy Janik, Ashley Nugent, Clifton Highfield, Will Cleveland, John Ratliff, Brent Foshee, Lance Gilstrap, Aden Kirschner, and Jericho Thorpe. He once performed standup in "The Mothup", delivering an impromptu monologue.
Drew Wesely created and operates Drew's Improv Gym, a weekly coached improv jam, which is a hybrid of an open improv jam and a drop-in improv class. In 2016 a team called "Wreck Center", which took its name from the team members meeting at Drew's Gym at Austin Rec Center, was coached by Drew Wesely to victory in the ColdTowne Cagematch.
He performed a minor role in a scene with Ashley Judd in the motion picture High Crimes as "Marine", and was a background actor/dancer in the film Desert Bloom with Jon Voight.
Active Improv & Sketch Troupes & Comedy Festival Shows
- Nice Astronaut - improv & sketchprov troupe (Performed in OOB five times, four times in UCBT's DCM, and Chicago Improv Festival)
- Lucky Billy - improv troupe (Performed in UCBT's DCM)
- Delta Force of Venus - improv troupe (captain)
- What's the Story, Steve? - improv and sketchprov troupe (Performed in OOB)
- ColdTowne TourCo - (Performed in DCM and NYC's Magnet Theater, and Charleston Improv Festival)
- TIT Talks - Performed in The Moontower Comedy Festival and Fun Fun Fun Fest
Past Improv Troupes
- Unfurled - improv troupe (Performed in TCIF, NCCAF, OOB and twice in NOIF)
- Achatina Achatina - Cagematch Champion (Performed in OOB twice)
- Array - JTS Brown format troupe (Coached by Craig Cackowski, Dave Buckman, and Cody Dearing)
- Kingston - improv troupe (captain)
- Foreign Affairs - improv troupe (Cagematch Championship winning team Dec. 2015)
- Who Dack? - improv troupe (captain)
- Stool Pigeon - performer
- Uptowne - sketch actor/writer
- Lifeboat - Cagematch champion
- First United Methodist Church of Plano Youth Group Improv (Cagematch team)
- The Draft
- ColdTowne Allstars
- Austin Translation (Assistant Director)
- Townsville comedic play - actor, writer (Performed in Frontera Fest)
- The Alamo Drewhouse presents Dinner & A Drewvie (Director/Producer)
- The Organ Trail
- Late Night Down
- Indy Movies
- Victrola (The Bat format) (Performed in Frontera Fest)