The Bloody Balloon Battle
The Bloody Balloon Battle was a balloon fight played by the Austin improv community in 2011 and 2012.
In preparation for the event, Jason Vines and friends filled a large quantity of balloons (some five thousand in 2012) with fake blood. On the day of the event, they arranged the balloons in a large ring in an open area in a public park. All Austin improvisors were welcome at the event; participants wore white, gathered inside the ring, and then commenced the battle on cue. The entire event lasted only five minutes or so, with photographers onhand to take photos (before, after, during).
The Balloon Battle started in 2011, when Jason Vines found himself with a large superfluous quantity of fake blood from a video project. He decided to use them for a giant balloon fight. The event went over so well that he brought it back, on an even larger scale, in 2012.
- A photoset by Steve Rogers of the 2011 Battle.
- A photoset by Steve Rogers of 'before' and 'after' photos from the 2012 Battle.
- A photoset by Steve Rogers from the 2012 Battle itself.
- A video of the 2012 event from Ivan Walker.
- Interview footage wherein Jason Vines discusses the event.
 More Information
- The facebook event page for the 2012 Battle.
- An article in the AustinPost about the 2012 event.