The Next Chapter
|The Next Chapter|
|Theater||The Institution Theater|
|Directed by||Justin Davis|
|Assistant Director(s)||Jessie Pascarelli|
The Next Chapter was a mainstage show at The Institution Theater that performed improvised continuations of the works of a published author.
Each night of the show had a different guest author. An author was interviewed, usually by Justin Davis, for a short period at the top of the show, usually lasting five to ten minutes. Then, the author read anywhere from 500 to 750 words of his or her choosing from a published work. The cast listened and at the conclusion of the reading, performed a deconstruction of the piece by stepping forward to recite different details, themes, or concepts they heard for about a minute. They then improvised from where the excerpt left off to create a story that lasted for just over an hour. On short-story author nights, two stories were performed, with the author reading shorter excerpts from two different stories. The first story lasted for 25 minutes and the second for 35 minutes.
 Guest Authors and Works
- 5/3: Deano Jones — Rise of the Cafe Racer
- 5/10: Owen Egerton — Everyone Says That at the End of the World
- 5/17: Doug Dorst — Two stories from The Surf Guru
- 5/24: Manuel Gonzales — Two stories from The Miniature Wife and Other Stories
- 5/31: Matt Sturges — Masked
- 6/7: Katherine Catmull — Summer and Bird
- 6/14: Beth Kander — Was
- 6/21: Suzy Spencer — Secret Sex Lives: A Year on the Fringes of American Sexuality
- 6/28: Daniel Quinn — Two stories from At Woomeroo
- Video by Paul Normandin of the 5/3/13 show.
- Video by Paul Normandin of the 5/17/13 show.
- Video by Paul Normandin of the 5/24/13 show, featuring Manuel Gonzales..
- Video by Paul Normandin of the 6/14/13 show.
- Video by Paul Normandin of the 6/21/13 show.
- The show's festival-submission reel: take 1, take 2.
- Photoset by Michael Yew of the 5/10/13 show.
- Photoset by Chad Wellington of the 5/25/13 show.
- Photoset by Chad Wellington of the 6/1/13 show.
- Photoset by Chad Wellington of the 6/8/13 show.
- Photoset by Chad Wellington of the 6/22/13 show.
- Photoset by Chad Wellington of the 6/29/13 show.
- Photoset by Steve Rogers of the 4/12/14 show at The 2014 Improvised Play Festival.